Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bye bye Brazil/Chau Brazil

So as I said, I went at night to the bus station at Rio, and got a bus leaving Rio at midnight, and I arrived in Sao Paulo just before 7am. I normally sleep without a problem on buses (or trains, airports, on the floor, standing up almost...) but for some reason I had a shit night with little sleep. I went back to Fernanda´s house, my couchsurfing host, chatted with her and Diego (her boyfriend) when I got there fpr a little bit, and they left a few minutes later. I had a quick shower and left again.
Fernanda had organized a visit to a jail in Sao Paulo for me, so exciting!!! So that´s the reaosn why I got the overnight bus, to get in time for it. Fernanda works in an NGO that liaises between the media and education, and one of her co-workers has a Masters on education in jails. So when Fernanda mentioned me, this co-worker was keen to meet me for a chat and offered to organise a visit to a jail for me. Terribly exciting!!!!!!

This co-worker couldn't take me to the visit in the end, but she organised for someone else to meet me, Heidi. I met up with Heidi (from the Chaplaincy service, she was really really nice) at 9am, 2 lawyers, and Mary (a girl working in the USA for an NGO which gives funding to this Chaplaincy service, also on a visit for the day). We went to a female´s jail, remand, housing about 2700 inmates. We walked around, had a look at some pavillions, chatted with everyone. I met the psychologists and social workers there. Heidi and Mary then left, but I decided to stay longer, and I sat in with the psychologists during one of their initial interviews to a newly arrived inmate. It was a bit weird cause of course they were speaking in Portuguese, but I still managed to understand almost all the conversation and to participate a bit in the interview. I had lunch with the psychologists (provided free of charge to all the employees) and left after that, at about 1:30pm.
I had all the best intentions of doing the 2 things I still wanted to do in Sao Paulo: to visit the Sao Bento monastery, and to go to Ibirapuera park, but failed miserably at both. I took the metro to the Sao Bento Monastery, and the same unfriendly man who had told me 2 weeks ago that the place shut at 4 (eventhough the Tourist information office had told me at 6, and I got there at about 4:30), told me today that it was shut. Period. No visits. They finished last Sunday.... odd!! I then got on the metro again, and when I got out it was raining. So I decided to go to Fernanda´s house, rest a bit, and wait for the rain to end. I left the house a couple of hours later, and by this time I was so tired that I was literally walking with my eyes closed along the street. It was also very cloudy and looked like it was going to rain again any minute, so I thought the park wouldn´t be a wise choice. Instead, I just went to Paulista Avenue, to that huuuuuuuuge library I had seen before, and sat there with a guide book (Lonely Planet of course) on Peru reading a bit, napping a lot. When I managed to wake up I had an early dinner and was back at Fernanda´s place and in bed by 9pm. Fernanda got home late, so we chatted a bit then. I woke up at 4:30 to go to the airport, my taxi didn`t show up, so I had to walk in the rain at 5am looking for a taxi which I luckily did and got to the aiport shuttle bus 5 minutes before it departed... phew! Of course, the plane was delayed for an hour and a half in the end anyway....
So that was Brazil for me, goodbyeeeeeeeeeee!

Como dije, fui a la estacion de bus en Rio a la noche, y me tome un bus que salio de Rio a las 12 de la noche y llegue a Sap Paulo un poco antes de las 7am. Normalmente duermo sin problema en los buses (o trenes, aviones, en el piso, parada casi...) pero no se por que tuve una noche de mierda casi sin dormir. Volvi a la casa de Fernanda, mi anfitriona de couchsurfing, charle un rato con ella y Diego (el novio) cuando llegue, y a los pocos minutos ellos se fueron. Me bañe rapido y sali de nuevo.
Fernanda me organizo una visita a una carcel en Sao Paulo, que emocion!! Asi que esa es la razon por la que me tome ese bus a las 12 de la noche, para llegar a tiempo para la visita. Fernanda trabaja en una ONG que media entre la prensa y la educacion, y una de las personas con las que trabaja tiene un Masters en educacion en las carceles. Asi que cuando Fernanda me menciono, esta compañera de trabajo le dijo que queria conocerme para charlar y le ofrecio de llevarme a visitar una carcel. Re copado!!!!!!
Esta comàñera de trabajo al final no pudo llevarme a la visita, pero organizo para que otra persona lo haga, Heidi. Me encontre con Heidi (del servicio parroquial, muy muy divina) a las 9am, 2 abogados, y Mary (una chica de Estados Unidos que trabaja en una ONG que da fondos para este servicio parroquial, y que tambien iba de visita por el dia). Fuimos a una carcel de mujeres, procesadas, con mas o menos 2700 presas. Recorrimos, miramos algunos de los pabellones, y charlamos con todo el mundo. Conoci a los psicologos y asistentes sociales. Heidi y Mary se fueron, pero yo decidi quedarme mas tiempo, y estuve con las psicologas en una entrevista inicial a una presa. Fue un poco raro porque obviamente hablaban en portugues, pero igual logre entender casi toda la conversacion y participar un poco en la entrevista. Almorce con las psicologas (gratis para todos los empleados) y despues me fui, tipo 1:30pm.
Tenia todas las mejores intenciones de hacer las 2 cosas que todavia em habian quedado pendientes en Sao Paulo: visitar el monasterio de Sao Bento e ir al Parque Ibirapuera, pero fracase miserablemente en los 2 casos. Me tome el metro al monasterio de Sao Bento, y el mismo hombre poco amigable que hace 3 semanas me habia dicho que cerraban a las 4 (a pesar de que en la informacion turistica me habian dicho que cerraba a las 6, y yo llegue ahi a las 4:30), hoy me dijo que estaba cerrado. Punto. No hay visitas. Terminaron el Domindo pasado.... raro!!! Me volvi a subir al mismo metro, y cuando me baje estaba lloviendo. Asi que decidi ir a la casa de Fernanda, descansar un rato, y esperar a que pare de llover. Me fui de la casa un par de horas mas tarde, y para este entonces estaba tan cansada que literalmente caminaba con los ojos cerrados. Tambien estaba nublado y parecia que iba a llover de nuevo en cualquier momento, asi que decidi que ir al parque no seria muy inteligente. En cambio, fui a la Avenida Paulista, a esa libreria gigaaaaaaaaaaaaante que habia visto antes, y me sente ahi con una guia de viaje (Lonely Planet por supuesto) de Peru, leyendo un poquito, durmiendo bastante. Cuando logre despertarme cene algo tempranito y ya estaba de vuelta en lo de Fernanda y en la cama a las 9 de la noche. Fernanda volvio tarde, asi que charlamos un ratito cuando llego. Yo me desperte a las 4:30am para ir al aeropuerto, mi taxi no aparecio, asi que tuve que salir a caminar bajo la lluvia a las 5am a buscar un taxi, pero por suerte encontre uno y llegue a la parada del autobus que va hacia el aeropuerto 5 minutos antes de que salga.... phew! Por supuesto, el vuelo estuvo demorado una hora y media al final igualmente....
Asi que eso fue Brazil para mi, chauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

No comments:

Post a Comment