Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Curious Incident of the Sunglasses in the Planetarium/ El Curioso Incidente de los Anteojos de Sol en el Planetario




Note: The title of this post is a homage to Mark Haddon's book "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", an amazing book which I highly recommend.
Last Thursday we went with my mum and Matias to the Planetarium. We watched a show about the solar system which my mum and I thought it was a bit boring, but Matias said he really enjoyed it, so all good. After that there was a talk about the Moon (I didn't know man has been to the moon 6 times, I thought it was only once) and then we had a look at the Moon with the telescope, that was cool! And no, I don't know why I'm writing the word Moon in capitals...
Friday I couldn't find my sunglasses. So I thought maybe they fell out of my bag at the Planetarium. I called. Yes, we've found a pair of sunglasses. Yes, in a red case. No, the security guard who found them is not in today. Yes, he will be in tomorrow, call again then.
Saturday I called again. Hold on, let me ask the security guard about it. No, he doesn't know anything about any sunglasses. No, he wasn't the one on duty on Thursday. I insist and insist with what I was told on Friday. Ok, give me your name and number and I will call you back.
They called back. Yes, we spoke on the phone with the guard of the day. Yes, he has found a pair of sunglasses in a red case. No, he doesn't have them anymore. He says a woman said he had lost a pair of sunglasses, he gave them to her, and she took them. I complain about the dodgniness of the situation. They are expensive Ray Bans and I was told on Friday that they had them. Ok, let me give you the number of the security guard I just spoke with and you can talk to him.
I call. Yes, I found a pair of sunglasses in a red case but a woman asked for them and I gave them to her. Sounds funny... what brandname were they? I don't know, I didn't open the case. Funny situation 1: how did he know they were sunglasses if he never opened the case? I gave them to the woman on Thursday morning. Funny situation 2: how did you give them back on Thursday morning if I lost them on Thursday night? Oh yes, right, Friday morning I meant. And then I think he must have realised he didn't work on Friday morning cause he said: my colleague said a woman asked for them on Friday morning and he gave them to her. Funny situation 3: he had said twice before to me how a woman asked him for the sunglasses and he gave them to her, now it's the colleague, not him. Ok, thank you very much, can I please have your name and surname so I can report it to the police? Yes, he gave me his details but he was not happy about it.
Sunday morning. I get a phone call from another security guard from the Planetarium. We have your sunglasses. I have them. There were 2 pairs of sunglasses in a red case lost at the 6:30 pm show on Thursday. Funny situation 4: Big coincidence. I don't really care, just make sure they don't go walkabout again until I collect them.
Monday I pick them up. The security guard tells me the unlikely story again about the 2 pairs of lost sunglasses. I tell him I don't believe him and that it is all really dodgy. He doesn't try to deny it. He just defends himself: Look, this is an issue with the other guard, I have found myself in the middle of all this, he called me and said you were going to report it to the police, I have nothing to do with all of this,this is my regular job here, I don't want to be involved. Funny situation 5: that the security guards actually believed I was gonna waste my time reporting it to the police, and even funnier that they thought the police were gonna do something about it. Nevermind, the bluff worked cause the sunglasses miraculously appeared. That's just a little story about how things work in Argentina.
PS: I've always thought the Planetarium looks like an UFO, maybe that has something to do with this curious incident?

Nota: el titulo de este post es un homenaje al libro de Mark Huddon "El Curioso Incidente del Perro a Medianoche", un libro alucinante que recomiendo mucho.
El jueves pasado fuimos con mi mama y Matias al Planetario. Vimos un show sobre el sistema solar que mi mama y yo pensamos que fue un poco aburrido, pero que Matias dijo que le gusto mucho, asi que todo bien. Despues de eso hubo una charla sobre la Luna (no sabia que el hombre habia ido a la Luna 6 veces, pense que habia sido una vez sola) y despues miramos la Luna por el telescopio, estuvo copado! Y no, no se por que estoy escribiendo la palabra Luna con mayusculas...
El viernes no podia encontrar mis anteojos de sol. Entonces pense que a lo mejor se me habian caido del bolso en el Planetario. Llame. Si, encontramos un par de anteojos de sol. Si, en un estuche rojo. No, el guardia de seguridad que los encontro no trabaja hoy. Si, va a estar manana, llama de nuevo.
El sabado llame de nuevo. Espera, que le pregunto al guardia de seguridad. No, no sabe nada sobre un par de anteojos de sol. No, el no es el que trabajo el jueves. Insisti e insisti con lo que me habian dicho el viernes. Ok, dame tu nombre y telefono y te llamamos de vuelta.
Me llamaron. Si, hable por telefono con el guardia del jueves. Si, encontro un par de anteojos de sol en un estuche rojo. No, no los tiene mas. Dice que una mujer dijo que habia perdido un par de anteojos de sol, que el se lo dio y que la mujer se los llevo. Me quejo de lo extranio de la situacion. Eran anteojos Ray Ban caros y el viernes me dijeron que los tenian. Ok, te doy el telefono del guardia de seguridad con el que hable recien y lo podes llamar.
Lo llamo. Si, encontre un par de anteojos de sol en un estuche rojo pero una mujer me los pidio y se los di a ella. Que raro... que marca eran? No se, no abri el estuche. Situacion rara 1: como sabia que eran anteojos de sol si nunca abrio el estuche? Se los di a la mujer el jueves a la manana. Situacion extrania 2: como los devolviste el jueves a la manana si yo los perdi el jueves a la tarde? Ah si, el viernes a la manana quise decir. Y creo que ahi se debe haber dado cuenta que el no trabajo el viernes a la manana porque dijo: mi companero dijo que una mujer se los pidio el viernes a la manana y se los dio a ella. Situacion rara 3: me habia dicho a mi 2 veces que una mujer se los pidio a el y que el se los dio, ahora me dice que fue su companero, no el. Bueno, muchas gracias, me podes dar tu nombre y apellido asi hago la denuncia a la policia? Si, me dio los datos pero no le gusto mucho la idea.
Domingo a la manana. Me llama por telefono otro guardia de seguridad del Planetario. Tenemos tus anteojos de sol. Yo los tengo. Hubo 2 pares de anteojos de sol en un estuche rojo perdidos en la funcion del jueves de las 6:30pm. Situacion rara 4: gran coincidencia. La verdad no me interesa la historia, asegurate de que no desaparezcan de nuevo hasta que los pase a buscar.
Lunes los paso a buscar. El guardia me cuenta de nuevo la historia poco probable sobre los 2 pares de anteojos de sol perdidos el mismo dia. Le digo que no le creo nada y que es todo una historia. No lo trata de negar. Solo se defiende a si mismo: Mira, esto es un tema del otro guardia, yo estoy metido en el medio, me llamo y me dijo que ibas a hacer la denuncia al policia, yo no tengo nada que ver con todo esto, yo trabajo aca todos los dias, no quiero quedar pegado en esto. Situacion rara 5: que los guardias de seguridad se hayan creido que iba a perder tiempo haciendo la denuncia a la policia, y mas raro aun que se hayan pensado que la policia iba a hacer algo al respecto. No importa, mi mentira funciono porque los anteojos de sol aparecieron milagrosamente. Esta es solo una pequena historia sobre como funcionan las cosas en Argentina.
PD: Siempre pense que el Planetario se parece a un OVNI, tal vez eso tiene algo que ver con este curioso incidente?

2 comments:

  1. Alejandra, realmente estas de racha, te toco el unico ladri con algo de remordimiento o culpa !!!

    No vas a jugar al quini???

    ReplyDelete