Saturday, May 1, 2010

Nairobbery/Nairobo







I'm in Africa!!! How fucking awesome, I LOVE this continent!!! I stayed at a hostel for a couple of nights, which was great, I met a group of really cool people. It was fascinating listening to them talk, most have been in Africa for at least a few months, and 1 for 12 years! So it's really interesting to hear them talk about politics and history of Africa, things I have no clue about, makes me feel so ignorant but really enjoying learning about it a bit.
Nairobi itself is no big deal... not much to do in the city really. Today I walked around the city for a few hours, had lunch in a little cafe (tried a few traditional dishes) and then walked to have a look at all the official buildings (parliament, president's house, etc etc)- they look crap, they are plain, old buildings, nothing special. I then walked past the tower in the city, but decided not to go up as there really isn't much to see anyway. I went into the Basilica for a while and walked around Uhuru Park.
Yesterday I went with an Argentinean guy and an Irish guy to the Giraffe Centre- tiny, you basically walk in, there's a platform, the giraffes come up to you, you feed them and pat them and hug them, and you also hold some food with your mouth and they take it off you by licking your face. Yuck but funny. And that's basically it, we saw 1 wild boar as well. There's lots of other things like that to do here in Nairobi- like the elephant orphanage and a National Park right in the city, but I preferred not to do these as I will have plenty of time in National Parks during the coming weeks.
Nairobi is known as Nairobbery- it's considered the most dangerous city in the world at the moment, even more than Johannesburg. So there's no walking out after dark, taxis everywhere, etc. But walking to and around the city today was fine, as long as it's during the day time and you don't walk with a camera in your hand or anything like that.
I moved to a hotel 200metres away from my hostel today, cause tomorrow I am leaving on an overland camping safari for 39 days, and it departs from that hotel. Only issue: it's still the wet season here, so it rains every day, so it will be a very interesting camping experience indeed. So 1 night in a hotel. I felt like I was in the Hilton today when I arrived, with my own bathroom and even a balcony! The bed sheets are dirty, but oh well, cant expect everything! I came back to visit the people from the hostel in the afternoon, and in about 1 hour I'll head back to the hotel cause at 6pm I am meeting the safari group.


Estoy en Africa!! Que alucinante!! Amo este continente!! Me quede en un hostel un par de noches, que estuvo buenisimo, conoci un grupo de gente muy buena onda. Fue fascinante escucharlos hablar, la mayoria esta en Africa hace por los menos algunos meses, y uno hace 12 anios! Asi que es re interesante escucharlos hablar sobre politica e historia de Africa, temas de los que no tengo ni idea, me hace sentir re ignorante pero me encanta estar aprendiendo un poco del tema.
Nairobi en si no es gran cosa... no hay mucho para hacer en la ciudad la verdad. Hoy camine por la ciudad unas horas, almorce en un barcito (probe algunos platos tradicionales) y despues camine a mirar los edificios oficiales (el parlamento, la casa del presidente, etc etc)- una cagada, son edificios viejos, basicos, nada especial. Despues pase por la torre en la ciudad, pero decidi no subir porque total no hay mucho que ver en la ciudad. Entre a la basilica un rato, y camine por el parque Uhuru.
Ayer fui con un argentino y un irlandes al Centro de las Girafas- minimo, basicamente entras, hay una plataforma, las girafas vienen, les das de comer, las tocas, las abrazas, y tambien te pones comida en la boca y te la sacan chupandote la cara. Un asco pero gracioso. Y eso es todo. Vimos 1 jabali tambien. Hay muchas cosas mas de ese estilo para hacer aca en Nairobi- el orfanato de elefantes, y un Parque Nacional justo en la ciudad, pero preferi no hacer esas cosas porque voy a tener tiempo de sobra en Parques Nacionales durante las proximas semanas.
Nairobi es conocida como Nairobbery (NaiRobo)- se la considera la ciudad mas peligrosa del mundo en estos momentos, incluso mas que Johannesburgo. Asi que nada de caminar despues que oscurece, taxi a todos lados, etc. Pero caminar a y alrededor de la ciudad hoy estuvo bien, siempre y cuando sea de dia y no andes con la camara de fotos en la mano ni nada asi.
Hoy me mude a un hotel a 200 metros de mi hostel, porque manana me voy en un safari acampando por tierra por 39 dias, y sale de ese hotel. Unico tema: todavia es la temporada de lluvias aca, asi que llueve todos los dias, asi que va a ser una experiencia acampando muy interesante. Asi que 1 noche en un hotel. Me senti como que estaba en el Hilton hoy cuando llegue, con mi propio banio y hasta balcon! Las sabanas estan sucias, pero bueno, no se puede pretender todo! A la tarde vine a visitar a la gente del hostel y en mas o menos 1 hora me vuelvo al hotel porque a las 6 nos encontramos con la gente del safari.








1 comment:

  1. estas ya de safari ...???? espero llegues a lees ... besissss exploradora y...tqm cuidateeeee

    ReplyDelete