Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Amritsar




We made it to Amritsar the next day at about 4:30pm, checked into an unfriendly hotel and went next door to the "hospital". Now... the hospital. Uhm... It had a sign saying it was some sort of trauma centre. It had a reception counter with no person behind it. It had 2 women sitting around who told us to knock on a door. This room had 2 guys chatting who claimed to be Drs. The Dr who saw me had lots of questions for me after I described my symptoms- "Which country are you from?", "How long are you gonna be in India for?", "When did you arrive in Amritsar?", and some more of these clinical questions required for a diagnosis. So after this we get a jar which what looked to me like apricot jam, and I saw it had a thermometer in it- good, that's progress, but I'm not putting that in my mouth, so under my arm it went. High fever- 39.5 or 103 for the Farenheit people. After much difficulty the 2 Drs managed to take my blood pressure- very low they said. And after some more chit chatting and the Dr guaranteeing me it is not malaria, I managed to get the diagnosis as being "Food. Poor hygiene". So I got 2 injections on my bum (disposable syringes, but after used they went on the floor on the little pile of rubbish there) and he gave me 5 different types of meds to take over the next 3 days. So off I went, with a painful bum, to eat some rice, take my meds, and have a delusion filled night (as I was told by Jane the next day) during which I sweated all the fever out.
So next day we were ready to explore. We checked out of the hotel and checked into another hotel, closer to the centre. We went into the Golden Temple (has 750 kgs of gold)- amazing, impressive, it was worth the long train trip, sick and all! In the afternoon we went to the India- Pakistan border (Wagah) where every afternoon they have a ceremony when they close the border for the night. Funny, funny, hilarious, great experience. You get the music going on both sides, both countries trying to outdo each other, pumping up the music, yelling louder, making more noise, cheering more than the other. We were on the India side of course- our MC would say something to which we had to reply and yell back, and I decided after much effort that our part went like this" Ehhh, Ehhhhh, Middlesburgh, Middlesburgh, One Two, One Two, One Two"- I never knew Indians had so much love for this part of England, but there you go, I was yelling it too. At some point they got about 20 people from the crowd to come down and dance, just to show Pakistanis how much fun we are having here in the Indian side. And then the soldiers were walking very very fast to the gate and back, exaggeratedly moving their arms back and forth, and doing these really high kicks almost kicking their own foreheads. But it all ended nicely, they had a 2 seconds official and exaggerated handshake, lowered the flags, and the gates were shut.
We went back to the Golden Temple at night to see it lit up- beautiful. An indian guy and about 4 of his friends approached me and we had the following highly interesting conversation: ID:"Hello". Me:"Hello". IG:"Where are you from?" Me:"Argentina". IG: Just gives me a blank look. Me: "In South America, do you know South America?". IG: "Yes", and another blank look. Me: "Do you know Brazil?" (I know, I know, I'm sorry, I had to use some sort of reference point...). IG: "No.". Me: "Do you know any country in South America?". IG: "Yes." Me: "Which country do you know in South America?". IG: Talking in Hindi to the guy next to him, who talks to his other mate, who talks to the other, and after some discussion amongst themselves the IG looks at me and announces: "Jamaica". Enough said, have a nice evening IG, goodbye.
We walked around. And when I tried to leave the hotel at midnight to find an internet cafe I found out we had a curfew from 11pm to 9am... uhm, yeah, they forgot to mention that during check in.

LLegamos a Amritsar el dia siguiente tipo 4:30 pm, fuimos a un hotel poco amigable, y despues al "hospital". Uhm... El hospital... Habia un cartel diciendo que era un centro para traumas. Habia un mostrador de recepcion sin nadie en el mostrador. Habia 2 mujeres sentadas que nos dijeron que golpeemos una puerta. Habia 2 hombres charlando en este cuarto que dijeron ser medicos. El medico que me vio me hizo muchas preguntas despues de que le describi mis sintomas: "De que pais sos?" "Cuanto tiempo vas a estar en India?" "Hace cuanto llegaron a Amritsar?", y mas de estas preguntas clinicas tan necesarias para un buen diagnostico. Entonces nos trajeron un frasco de vidrio con lo que parecia ser mermelada de durazno adentro, y vi que tenia un termometro adentro (bien, bien, esto es un adelanto), pero ni en pedo me pongo eso en la boca, asi que me lo puse bajo el brazo. Alta fiebre- 39.5, o 103 para la gente Farenheit. Despues de muchos problemas, finalmente los medicos lograron tomarme la presion sanguinea- muy baja me dijeron. Y despues de charlar un poco mas y el medico me aseguro que no es malaria, logre que me diera como diagnostico: "Comida. Mala Higiene". Asi que me dio 2 injecciones en la cola (jeringas descartables, pero despues de usarlas fueron directo al piso, con la pilita de basura que ya habia ahi), y me dio 5 remedios diferentes que tengo que tomar durante los proximos 3 dias. Asi que eso fue, me fui del hospital, con el culo dolorido, a comer arroz, tomar mis pastillitas, y a pasar una noche delirando de fiebre hablando sin sentido (como me conto Jane al dia siguiente), durante la cual transpire toda la fiebre.
Asi que al dia siguiente estabamos listas para explorar otra vez. Nos fuimos de ese hotel, y nos fuimos a otro hotel, mas cerca del centro. Fuimos al Golden Temple (el Templo de Oro- tiene 750 kgs de oro)- increible, imponente, valio la pena el tren de 20 horas y 1/2, enferma y todo.
A la tarde fuimos a la frontera de India y Pakistan (Wagah), donde todas la tardes tienen una ceremonia cuando cierran la frontera durante la noche. Muy gracioso, muy divertido, una gran experiencia. Tienen musica en los 2 lados en cada pais, compitiendo tratando de tener la musica mas fuerte, subiendo el volumen, las multitudes de los 2 lados gritando y alentando, tratando de hacer mas ruido que el otro pais. Nosotras estabamos obviamente del lado de India- nuestro maestro de ceremonias nos daba indicaciones de que gritar y responderle, y yo decidi despues de mucho esfuerzo tratando de entender que lo que decian era: "Ehhhhh, Ehhhhh, Middlesburgh, Middlesburgh, One Two, One Two" (Middlesburgh es el nombre de una ciudad en Inglaterra, y One Two significa Uno Dos)- nunca me hubiera imaginado que los indios tuvieran tanto amor por esa ciudad en Inglaterra... pero bueno, yo tambien lo gritaba si es asi! En un momento hicieron que tipo 20 personas del publico bajaran y se pusieran a bailar, solo para demostrarles a los Pakistanes que divertido que es estar en India. Y despues los soldados caminaban muy muy rapido hasta los portones ida y vuelta, moviendo exageradamente los brazos mientras caminaban, y haciendo unas patadas bien altas, que casi se golpeaban las frentes cuando pateaban. Pero tood termino muy bien y amigable, se dieron la mano oficial y exageradamente por 2 segundos, bajaron las banderas, y cerraron los portones.
Volvimos al Golden Temple para verlo de noche- lindisimo. Un tipo indio se me acerca con 4 de sus amigos y tuvimos esta conversacion muy interesante. TI: "Hola". Yo: "Hola". TI: "De que pais sos?". Yo: "Argentina". TI: me mira con cara de nada. Yo: "En Sudamerica, conoces Sudamerica?" TI: "Si", y otra mirada de nada. Yo: "Conoces Brasil?" (Ya se, ya se, perdon, pero tenia que tratar de usar ALGO como referencia). TI: "No". Yo: "Conoces algun pais en Sudamerica?". TI: "Si". Yo" Que pais conoces en Sudamerica?" TI: empieza a hablar en indio con uno de sus amigos, que habla en indio con el otro que tiene al lado, que habla con el siguiente, y despues de debatir un rato entre todos el tipo indio me mira y la respuesta: "Jamaica". Suficiente, todo dicho, que pases una buena noche tipo indio, chau.
Caminamos por ahi. Y cuando trate de salir del hotel tipo 12 de la noche para usar internet, me entere que el hotel esta cerrado de 11pm a 9am y nos podemos salir ni entrar.... uhm... se les olvido avisarnos cuando llegamos.

1 comment:

  1. Impresionante el templo!!
    Que pena que no sacaste una foto en el hospital, supongo que no estabas con energia para eso, no?

    ReplyDelete