Saturday, April 17, 2010

Start spreading the news...! (Cancion sobre New York)











I got to New York in the afternoon. Straight on the airport metro and then onto the real metro into the city. So after more than 2 hours after landing I finally emerged in the middle of New York. FUCKING NEW YORK! I can't believe it, I'M IN NEW YORK! I've always wanted to come to New York, I have memories of saying I wanted to see New York and go hangliding while wearing my kindergarden pinafore. I went hangliding a couple of years ago, so it was just New York left. AWESOME New York. Getting off the subway felt like a dream, actually my first few days here felt like a dream, unbelievable! Everything is famous, every place and sight is famous, even if I had never been here before. Yellow taxis, subway signs, famous buildings, names of neighbourhoods, everything seems familiar, where do I start from...?
So, there I am in fucking awesome New York. Got a hostel, dropped my bag, went for a walk. First classic: I had a New York style pizza slice:) (those huge slices that don't fit in the paper plates they come in and can't be eaten with only one hand, so you gotta fold them in half longwise to eat them). I then started walking around, but it started raining, so decided to go back to the hostel and have an early night. As it turned out I ended up hanging out with the people staying at the hostel for hours, so it wasn't an early night after all.
Next day I woke up early, checked out of the hostel and moved to the Brooklyn area. Explanation: staying with Agustina, an argentinean girl who has been living in NY for about 4 months. How do I know her? I don't actually. But turns out her father is a client of my grandfather's, and a few days ago my grandfather and my mother were talking to him... and who knows how one thing led to another and there you have it, I'm told to call Agustina to go and stay with her. So I called her last night and arranged to move in the next day. So I went over to her place and met some of her flatmates, it's 6 of them from different countries, all really nice and Agustina is great. I stayed there for a couple of hours chatting and then headed into the city. I took the free ferry to Staten Island, with views of the Statue of Liberty on the way (I saw THE Statue of Liberty, can't believe it!!!) and walked around Staten Island for a while (Past Yankees Stadium). Back to the city, and I walked around the southern tip of Manhattan- Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, Battery Park (gorgeous views), walked past Trinity Church, saw Ground Zero (the place where the Twin Towers/World Trade Centre used to be). Then walked up along Broadway Avenue, up to Washington Square and saw Washington Arch. There I met up with Sole (Luli's sister, from Chicago, who is in NY for a couple of days) and with a friend of Sole's also called Agustina. We went to Judson Church and watched a dance performance and then had dinner in Little Italy. I met up with Agustina at the metro station, and she was with a friend, Carmen, and the 3 of us went back to Agustina's place for the night.
Next day: up early, and spent all day walking around Midtown area, the area with the wonderfully high skyscrapers. Madison Square Garden (they were filming a movie, had about 50 guys dressed as cops), the Post Office, walked along 7th Avenue (Fashion District area). And then I got to Times Square! WOW! THE Times Square! The place where New Year's Eve massive party takes place, with the ball going down, and all the giant TV screens. I went to the M&M's World and the Hershey's one- disappointingly neither one gave any free samples. Carnegie Hall, City Centre and down 5th Avenue, yes again: THE 5th Avenue!! I went into St Patrick's Cathedral, then into the Rockerfeller Centre Building (what an awesome, massive, impressive building, with its garden, square, flags, and ice skating rink!) I went back to Times Square and queued up for the half price tickets for Broadway shows, and met up with Agustina there. We got tickets for the musical Chicago- not our first choice, but still cool. She then left for work and I walked around cute little Bryant Park (with people playing chess, bocce, ping pong) and went to the public Library (oh yeah, free internet!), and past THE Chrysler Building. After that, tour of the United Nations Building: wow... being in that room, where so many decisions are made by the world leaders, that same room which I've seen so many times in movies and in the news, it gave me chills, it was really moving. Then, I went to THE Grand Central Station- amazing, again... seeing THE clock and THE main hall. And they even have a small museum in it, incredible!! After that I went back to Broadway Avenue and there met up with Agustina in the theatre and saw Chicago. It was great, awesome music, cool dancing, a bit disappointing the small production, was expecting something bigger and more spectacular for Broadway.
The next morning I hang out with Agustina, chatting for a couple of hours, and then went to the city. I walked around THE Soho, how awesome!! and Tribeca area, and along the Hudson River, and then I got a bus in the afternoon, leaving to Boston. But: NY, I'll be back!

Llegue a Nueva York a la tarde. Directo al subte del aeropuerto y de ahi al subte normal a la ciudad. Asi que mas de 2 horas despues de haber aterrizado finalmnte sali a la superficie en el medio de Nueva York. NUEVA YORK!! No lo puedo creer, estoy en NUEVA YORK!! Siempre quise venir a Nueva York, tengo recuerdos de decir que queria ir a Nueva York y volar en aladelta teniendo mi delantal de jardin de infantes puesto. Hice aladelta hace un par de anios, asi que solo me faltaba Nueva York. Nueva York ALUCINANTE! Cuando sali del subte fue como un suenio, de hecho mis primeros dias enteros fueron como un suenio, increible! Todo es famoso, cada lugar es famoso, aunque no estuve nunca antes aca. Taxis amarillos, carteles del subte, edificios famosos, el nombre de los barrios, todo parece conocido, por donde empiezo...?
Asi que ahi estoy, en la increible Nueva York. Consegui un hostel, deje mi mochila, sali a caminar. Primera cosa clasica: comi una porcion de pizza estilo Nueva York:) (esas porciones tan gigantes que no entran en el plato de carton que te dan, ni se pueden comer con una sola mano, entonces la manera de comerla es doblarla a la mitad a lo largo). Despues empece a dar una vuelta caminando pero empezo a llover, asi que decidi volver al hostel e irme a dormir temprano. Al final como resultaron las cosas me quede charlando con la gente que estaba en el hostel asi que resulto no ser una noche temprana al final.
Al dia siguiente me levante temprano, me fui del hotel, y me mude a la zona de Brooklyn. Explicacion: me voy a quedar con Agustina, una chica argentina que vive en NY hace 4 meses. Como laconozco? No la conozco. Pero resulta que su papa es cliente de mi abuelo, y hace unos dias mi mama y mi abuelo estaban charlando con el... y no se como una cosa llevo a la otra, y de repente, me avisan que la llame a Agustina para ir a quedarme con ella. Asi que la llame anoche y arregle para mudarme al dia siguiente. Asi que fui a su casa y conoci a algunas de las personas con las que vive, son 6 en total de diferentes paises, todos divinos y Agustina una genia. Me quede ahi charlando un par de horas y despues fui para el centro. Me tome el ferry gratis hasta la isla Staten Island, con vistas de la Estatua de la Libertad en el camino (vi LA Estatua de la Libertad, no puedo creerlo!!) y camine por Staten Island un rato (pase por el estadio de baseball de los Yankees). De vuelta a la ciudad y camine por la punta sur de Manhattan- el memorial a los veteranos de guerra de Vietnam, el parque Battery (vistas buenisimas), pase por la Iglesia Trinity, vi el lugar de Ground Cero (el lugar donde las Torres Gemelas-World Trade Centre solian estar). Despues camine a lo largo de la Avenida Broadway, hasta la plaza Washington, con el Arco de Washington. Ahi me encontre con Sole (la hermana de Luli de Chicago, que esta en NY por un par de dias) y con una amiga de Sole que tambien se llama Agustina. Fuimos a la Iglesia Judson y vimos una presentacion de baile y despues fuimos a cenar a Little Italy (zona italiana). Me encontre con Agustina en la estacion de metro y estaba con una amiga, Carmen, y las 3 fuimos a dormir a lo de Agustina.
Dia siguiente: me desperte temprano y me pase todo el dia caminando por la zona Midtown, la zona con los rascacielos maravillosamente altos. Madison Square Garden (estaban filmando una pelicula, tenian como 50 tipos vestidos de policias), la oficina postal, camine por la 7ma Avenida (el Distrito de la Moda). Y despues fui a Times Square. WOW! EL Times Square!! El lugar donde se lleva a cabo la fiesta masiva de Anio Nuevo, con la pelota gigante que baja, y las pantallas gigantes. Fui al Mundo de M&M y al local de Hershey´s- gran desilusion que ninguno daba muestras gratis. Carnegie Hall, City Centre, y baje por la 5ta Avenida, si, de nuevo, LA 5ta Avenida!!! Fui a la Catedral de San Patricio y despues al edificio del Rockerfeller Centre (que edificio tan gigante, impactante, con sus jardines, plaza, banderas, y pista de patinaje sobre hielo!). Volvi a Times Square y hice cola para los tickets de mitad de precio para los shows de Broadway, y me encontre con Agustina ahi. Compramos tickets para el show Chicago- no era nuestra primera preferencia, pero igual copado. Ella despues se fue a laburar y yo camine por el divino y chiquito parque Bryant (con la gente jugando al ajedrez, a las bochas, al ping pong) y fui a la Biblioteca Nacional (si, si, internet gratis!) y pase por EL Edificio Chrysler. Despues de eso, tour del edificio de las Naciones Unidas: wow... estar en ese cuarto, donde tantas decisiones de los lideres mundiales son tomadas, el mismo cuarto que vi tantas veces en peliculas y en las noticias, me dio escalofrios, fue muy emocionante. Despues fui a LA Gran Estacion Central- increible de nuevo, ver EL reloj y EL hall principal. Y hasta tienen un museito adentro, increible! Despues de ahi fui de nuevo a la Avenida Broadway y me encontre con Agustina en el teatro y vimos Chicago. Estuvo buenisimo, musica alucinate, baile muy bueno, un poco desilusion la produccion tan chica, yo estaba esperando algo mas a lo grande y mas espectacular de Broadway.
La manana siguiente estuve con Agustina charlando un par de horas y despues fui a la ciudad. Fui a EL Soho, que copado!!!! Y tambien a la zona de Tribeca, y camine a orillas del Rio Hudson, y despues me tome un bus en la tarde hacia Boston. Pero: Nueva York, estare de vuelta!!

6 comments:

  1. besis estoy siguiendo tu recorrido tqm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to try a hot dog with everything on it !!!

    Mariano

    ReplyDelete
  3. realmente se ve tu cara de sufrimiento en todas las fotos... Que sigue después de USA?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, hot dogs on the list for sure!
    Alguien tiene que hacer el sacrificio Diego... despues Africa, en poco mas de una semana nomas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ale... Soy Facu el hijo de Roberto... voy a estar en NYC con Ceci en septiembre!!!

    donde están las fotos de los últimos postsss?!

    beso

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Facu!! Bienvenido a bordo:) Lei tu mensaje anterior pero no se en que post viejo quedo asi que no te pude contestar.
    Que bueno que vienen a NY, es un flash!!!!
    Las fotos ya vendran, siempre pongo fotos pero llegan con restraso unos dias mas tarde. En verdad estoy casi 10 dias atrasada con la escritura a esta altura tambien!
    Avisame si necesitas alguna info de NY!!

    ReplyDelete