Friday, April 23, 2010

Boston, the city of students and Independence- Boston, la ciudad de los estudiantes y la Independencia







I always knew that Boston was a city full of students, but I never knew how relevant it had been in the Independence of the USA from the British. I learnt a lot about history here, I would have never expected it! Lots of revolutionary thoughts and actions took place in Boston, which resulted in their Independence. The Declaration of Independence was signed here in 1776.
I got to Boston on the 14th April at night. Couchsurfing here, so I went to Jeff´s house, my host. Lovely guy, he was really nice. 10 minutes after I arrived we went out to a bar, to the Boston weekly CS meeting. Really cool, I had never been to a couchsurfing meeting before, it was really fun to meet the CS people there!
15th April. Sightseeing begins. New city, new things to explore:) I walked around the parks near where Jeff lives: Fenway and Back Bay park, very peaceful and beautiful. Then I went to see the Symphony Hall, and across the road a MASSIVE building caught my atention. Turns out it was a Christ Church of Science or something like that... I took a guided tour of the stunning building and they made it very clear that they had nothing to do with Scientology. But they do believe in cure of illnesses and broken bones via prayer and not going to Drs or using medication! I used their library for free internet, so it was a very positive visit after all. I then went to Copley Square: Public Library (just for a visit, didn´t use their internet), Trinity Church, Hancock Building (same guy as the Hancock Building in Chicago I think, but they don´t allow tourists up the top here). I then walked around the beautiful lovely Public Garden, and then did the Black Heritage Trail walk in Beacon Hill area. I went into not 1, but the 2 Cheers bars (you know, from the TVseries Cheers). Apparently 1 is the original, and then after the success of the TV show they built another one copying it. But this second one is not just 1, it´s got 3 floors and on each floor they made the exact same replica bar apparently... I didn´t check, 1 floor was enough for me. Then went to Quincy Markets for dinner, and back to Jeff´s place, he was out, so I just chilled and had a quiet early night.
16th April: Rain and cold. Yuck. Luckily Jeff lent me an umbrella (I left my umbrella and my waterproof jacket in my big backpack in NY at Agustina´s place and travelled with only my daypack to Boston). I did the Freedom Trail walk all day, and a few more stops along the way as well, which was awesome. I did a guided tour of the State House, went into Boston Athenaeum (a very posh and uptight library, pretty pretencious), the Park Street Church, the Granary Burying Grounds next to it, Kings Chapel also with its burying ground, went to the First Public School in Boston which now is used for private companies with its statue of Benjamin Franklin, spent some time in the Old South Meeting House learning a lot of history, I went to the site of the Boston Massacre (5 people were killed by the police), Fanueil Hall, USS Constitution (an old ship), Bunker Hill monument (the place where the first battle of Independence took place). After that I went back to the starting place, Boston Common, the first public park, and walked around it despite the rain. Walked around Chinatown a bit and then back to Jeff´s place. We stayed up until ridiculously late watching movies and talking, including a ¨slightly fucked up korean movie¨ which was great.
17th: Woke up late, went to Chinatown for lunch, and from there got a bus back to New York. I got to NY at about 9pm, went to Agustina´s place for the night.


Siempre supe que Boston era una ciudad llena de estudiantes, pero nunca supe toda la relevancia que habia tenido en la Independencia de USA de los ingleses. Aprendi mucho de historia aca, nunca me lo hubiera esperado! Muchos pensamientos y hechos revolucionarios pasaron en Boston, que resultaron en la Independencia. La Declaracion de la Independencia fue firmada aca en 1776
Llegue a Boston el 14 de abril a la noche. Couchsurfing aca, asi que fui a lo de Jeff, mi anfitrion. Divino, re buena onda. A los 10 minutos de llegar fuimos a un bar, a la reunion semanal de Couchsurfing de Boston. Muy copado, nunca habia estado en una reunion de CS antes, estuvo re bueno conocer a la gente de CS de aca!
15 de abril. Comienza el turismo. Ciudad nueva, cosas nuevas que explorar:) Camine por los parques cerca de donde vive Jeff: Fenway y Back Bay, re tranquilo y lindo. Despues fui a ver el edifcio de la Sinfonica, y cruzando la calle veo un edificio MASIVO que me llamo la atencion. Resulto que es una Iglesia de Ciencia de Cristo o algo asi... hice un tour guiada del edifcio impresionante y me explicaron bien claramente que no tienen nada que ver con la Scientologia (la de Tom Cruise). Pero creen en la curacion de enfermedades y huesos rotos por medio de rezar y no van al medico ni toman medicamentos! Use su biblioteca para internet gratis, asi que fue una visita positiva despues de todo. Despues fui a la plaza Copley: la Biblioteca Publica (solo a visitar, no use internet ahi), la Iglesia Trinity, el Edificio Hancock (el mismo tipo que el del Edificio Hancock de Chicago creo. pero aca no permiten que los turistas suban). Despues camine por el lindisimo y divino Jardin Publico, y despues hice la Caminata de la Tradicion Negra en el area de Beacon Hill. Entre no a 1, sino a los 2 bares de Cheers (de la serie Cheers). Aparentemente 1 es el original, y despues del exito de la serie de television construyeron otro mas copiandolo. Pero este segundo no es solo 1, tiene 3 pisos y en cada piso hicieron la exacta misma replica del bar parece... no lo verifique, 1 piso fue suficiente para mi. Despues fui al Mercado Quincy a cenar, y de vuelta a lo de Jeff, el no estaba, asi que me relaje y tuve una noche tranqui.
16 de abril: lluvia y frio. Yuck. Por suerte Jeff me presto un paraguas (deje mi paraguas y mi impermeable en la mochila grande en lo de Agustina en NY y viaje solo con mi mochila de mano a Boston). Hice la Caminata de la Libertad todo el dia, y algunas paradas mas por el camino, que estuvo espectacular. Hice un tour guiado de la Casa del Estado, fui al Athenaeum de Boston (una Biblioteca paqueta y finola, bastante pretenciosa), la Iglesia de la Calle Park, el cementerio al lado, la Capilla Kings tambien con su cementerio, fui a la Primera Escuela Publica de Boston que ahora el edificio lo usan empresas privadas, con su estatua de Benjamin Franklin, pase tiempo en la Antigua Casa de Reuniones del Sur aprendiendo mucho de historia, fui al lugar de la Masacre de Boston (donde policias mataron a 5 personas), el Hall Faneuil, USS Constitution (un barco antiguo), el monumento de Bunker Hill (el lugar donde fue la primera batalla de la Independencia). Despues de ahi fui de nuevo al punto de comienzo, Boston Common, el primer parque publico, y camine por ahi a pesar de la lluvia. Camine por Chinatown un rato y despues a lo de Jeff. Nos quedamos despiertos hasta ridiculamente tarde mirando peliculas y hablando, incluida una ¨levemente extrana pelicula koreana¨ buenisima.
17: me desperte tarde, fui a Chinatwon a almorzar y de ahi me tome un bus de vuelta a NY. Llegue a NY tipo 9 de la noche, y fui a lo de Agustina.

1 comment:

  1. Q lindo Boston! anduviste en los subways? viste q lindos? T line era no? y el museo de las compu esta buenisimo!tienen la primera compu como de los 50's q ocupaba una habitacion completa :) Ahora seguro andas por NY no? Van besos :)
    Ani G

    ReplyDelete